Thursday, August 30, 2007

Early Morning Thoughts

It is about 4:00 a.m. and I have been up for over an hour unable to sleep for some reason. Some of my thoughts go to my dad. He has shingles right now on top of fighting to get his blood counts back up from the chemotherapy and has not had much sleep at all in nights past. Some of my thoughts are about a skunk in our back yard. How did it get there? When will it leave? Will we accidentally let the dog out and have to deal with her being skunked and have that smell linger for days? My mind wanders to the millions of things needing to be accomplished in the next few days. I wonder why I ate pizza and blueberry crunch last night for dinner and dessert. Not such a smart thing to do after torturing myself by running up and down bleacher stairs at a local high school for marathon training. These two things are not mixing well with my body. I'm feeling it now.

Oftentimes, praying will allow me to drift back to sleep. Instead, my thoughts wander. The One Year Bible I received in the mail yesterday came to mind and I grabbed that to look at today's reading. Our Pastor encouraged us as a church to be more consistent in our Bible reading. It certainly seems like a good way to achieve this goal. Reading the Bible stopped my mind from wandering and allows me to focus on what really matters.

I just wanted to document 2 Corinthians 4:8-10:

We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.

Dad really did not look good when I saw him last night. His left eye is swollen. He just seems worn out. I wonder if he's up right now because of all the pain he is experiencing. Can the doctor give him something to help with the pain? Is all of this related to the cancer that attacked his body? Possibly it's just a virus that his body needs to fight off? These verses bring comfort. There is a bigger picture. No matter what, God is with us and the goal of this life is to reflect Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment