Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Identity

This summer, some friends and I met regularly to study a book entitled A Mom after God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George. (It is a book I highly recommend.) This book initiated a lot of different conversations. One in particular that inspired this blog. We were discussing our identity. There is no question that I am a mother. There is no question that I am a wife. For me, however, this is unsettling to think that this is my identity. What if God forbid I lose that identity from some tragic event. For myself, there has to be something more to my identity. Something that always has been, is, and always will be. That is where 1 John 3:1 seizes my heart. “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” Just as I have always been Tristi Nikelle, I have always known that I am God’s child. This is my identity.
Early in our marriage, Rod presented me with a gift. It was a very thoughtful gift that should have brought me great delight. Instead, it brought tears. The gift was a Bible with my name engraved on it. However, because it was the Bible, the name he had engraved brought great confusion to me. Engraved in the front of this dear book was TRISTI N. CARLSON. My name has not always been TRISTI N. CARLSON. Eleven years ago I lost my name as TRISTI N. TUTTLE. However, my name has always been and will always be TRISTI NIKELLE. With great effort (and a lot of emotion), I did my best to explain this to him. To be honest, I still don’t know if he completely understands. It seems strange even as I write about it. For me, though, I have always been and will always be TRISTI NIKELLE. Just as I have always known and will always be a Child of God. This is my Identity in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment