Thursday, September 27, 2007

10 More Days...

We’re supposed to be in a tapering mode with our marathon training. Unfortunately, I feel exhausted and as though we are doing at least the same amount of running, if not more than we did in prior weeks. Our Saturday morning runs are definitely lower as we are only doing 60 minutes this week. During the week, however, my body is not used to this amount of running. The schedule called for 40 minutes Monday, 40 minutes Tuesday and 45 minutes yesterday. Previously, I remember doing about 20 or 30 minutes on Monday, Cross Training on Tuesday and group training on Wednesday. Writing it down makes it seems the same, it just felt like we used to do less.

There are only 10 more days until the marathon – if I count today. Sometimes I wonder if I’ll fall into a depression after October 7th. With all this training and such a big goal completed, where will all my energy be directed? Maybe I’ll finally get something done around my house. I really don’t want to quit exercising entirely, though. Part of the reason it seemed like a good idea to train for this marathon was that it would get me into an exercise routine that I would be able to stick with in the future. Even so, completing the marathon really could play havoc with my emotions because it will bring such a change in my schedule. Thankfully, there is Jaycie’s birthday and the holidays quickly approaching and that should keep my mind distracted.

It seems so surreal that we are coming upon marathon day. I never thought I’d get to this point and now it’s so close that I’m a little scared. What if I don’t have the energy to complete the 26.2 miles? What if I get injured? What if this new shirt we’re supposed to wear for Team in Training causes my arms to chafe? What if the food I eat the night before is too different than my body is used to? What if it’s a morning that I feel the need to use the bathroom continually during the run? What if I can’t sleep the night before at the hotel? There are all kinds of silly thoughts that come to my mind. No matter how silly, though, they are all things that I’m concerned about.

To be honest, my biggest concern is probably just with the emotion of the day. There will be a lot surrounding it. Everyone talks about the energy involved in such an event. My thoughts continue to be with my dad. And tomorrow, Rod’s dad goes to meet with his doctors. We’re praying that his numbers will remain the same and that everything is ok with him. Emotionally, I can’t handle having both dads in the hospital. My father-in-law fell the other day by tripping over a suitcase and banged himself up pretty well. He also was up on the roof messing with the chimney last week and he admits that he wore himself out. Last night, he seemed fairly weak and Rod commented that he thought he looked a bit pale, as well. Cancer is a terrible disease and I’m scared that my girls could lose both of their grandpas.

Fear is a terrible thing if we allow it to grab hold of us. It can be consuming. So I try to find my comfort in God. He knows what is going on and knows exactly what each one of us needs.

Matthew 6:8 “…for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.”

Philippians 4:19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment