Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dad Update 10-26-07

There is still a long and uncertain battle ahead for my Dad. To give you some insight, when he began this battle back in February, he was under the assumption that it would be done and overwith by Easter. Obviously, that is not the case.

One of the things about the drugs used to treat cancer is that they mess with the chemicals in the patient. For this reason, my dad has been given a prescription to treat depression. From the sounds of things, I do not believe he is taking this medication. My dad has always been anti-medication. He didn't even really take tylenol to relieve pain throughout his life. It is a struggle for him to be on so many medications. When he feels he can have control to decide not to take a certain medication, he tends to choose not to take it.

Please pray with me that he will take the medication so he can think a little more clearly. There are continually moments that he does not see him self continuing this fight. I'd hate for him to make such a decision if it would be altered by a simple medication. I do believe he will continue to fight, but can't help but wonder if he'd be a little more positive if he'd take this prescription drug.

I cannot imagine what it must be like for my mom to be constantly surrounded by such negativity and doom and gloom. Sadly, I chose not to visit my dad last night when I could have. The thought of sitting next to him trying to encourage him when he just won't have it was too discouraging for me to face last night. We are also trying to be cautious of germs with his blood counts so low but my main reason was just that I could not bring myself to go.

Please pray that God will provide strength as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment