Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Fulfilling Run

One of the main reasons I enjoy running is because it allows me to clear my head. Getting on the treadmill by myself without the television or radio yesterday gave me a new experience that was quite fulfilling.

Recently, I’ve found it difficult to know how to pray. I just want to continue to pray over and over again for God to heal both my dad and Rod’s dad. It is such narrow-minded praying. I want my prayers to be deeper than this. I want to pray for others as I’m asking them to do for us.

Yesterday, I got on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I began praying for my grandparents and went through everyone in my family. I prayed for others in my life as well. With each one I prayed some specifics and also remembered the way Paul prayed for the different groups of people he wrote to. It was quite fulfilling to know that I didn’t just complete 30 minutes for my physical health but spiritually as well.

There are times I don’t know how to pray and I use The Lord’s Prayer. Then there are times that I allow song lyrics to be my prayer. My experience yesterday was deeply satisfying as I prayed specifics for others.

Whenever I run for any amount of time, I know it is beneficial for my health. However, it is so much more fulfilling and satisfying when I double that time by spending it in prayer.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." - Colossians 4:2

No comments:

Post a Comment