Thursday, October 18, 2007

Life with a Remote Control

I would love to live life with a remote control. It would be so nice to press one of the many buttons at different times in life. I would like to rewind for my mistakes or moments I didn’t cherish like I should have at the time. I’d like to press the stop button when life gets overwhelming. The fast forward button would be nice so that I can know what is going to happen on the other side of different situations. The pause button would be extremely helpful during this current stage of life.

If I could just pause life as dad fights this battle with cancer that would certainly be nice. I could focus on him and spend time talking to him or helping him and then resume the rest of my life when he is healed. That’s just not the way life happens and I know I will grow because of it. At the same time, it doesn’t make it any easier to handle.

I’ve heard people talk about going through crises in their life and how it seems strange that everyone keeps on living life around them. Now I understand (somewhat) first hand what they were talking about. Even still, I, myself, am not fighting this battle. I’m certain Dad would love to pause everything so that at the end of this battle the grandkids haven’t grown and he hasn’t missed any special moments with them. If a pause button could be effective, he wouldn’t have to think about missing any holidays.

If live could be lived utilizing a remote control, what would it be like? Not much room for growing in the tough times, I’d assume.

“We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” – Romans 5:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment