Monday, October 1, 2007

SURPRISE!

I am still in awe as I think of how oblivious I have been to everything going on around me these days. One of my friends reminded me that I had a few things to think about, but still…I normally pride myself on figuring things out.

As I walked through my front door after a weekend away of shopping with my cousin, I was totally and completely surprised. My home was filled with people that I am so blessed to share life with. “SURPRISE!” was shouted and although it took a few moments for it all to settle in, I just couldn’t believe he pulled it off.

Oftentimes, I inform Rod that he doesn’t “know me well enough”. After 11 years of marriage, I throw into disagreements the “I know the things you enjoy, why can’t you just understand me?” I guess I won’t be doing that for a while. He proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he knows me…possibly even better than I know myself. Celebrating two months before my 30th birthday never even dawned on me as a possibility. It's actually a good feeling to be surprised. I should allow people the opportunity more often. I suppose I don't always have to be in control.

God has truly blessed me with an incredible husband. He is my absolute best friend and put forth all kinds of planning and effort to surprise me for my 30th birthday. What a memory! There was really only one factor that he had no control over and he didn’t know how it would affect the night. God knew, and my Dad and Mom were both there with us. My eyes fill with tears even now at the thought of it. It had to have taken every last bit of energy my dad had to make it to the party last night and I am forever grateful. My only fear in turning 30 was celebrating without my dad. I still hope and pray he is here to celebrate with me on the actual day but this is a memory I will cherish forever.

Not to minimize all the efforts my friends put in and everyone who came to celebrate, though. As I look at my life, I am so grateful that I am surrounded by a huge support system. I think friendships are proven during difficult times. There are those friends who just know what to do and when to do it: when to call, when to write, when to leave you alone and when to just cry with you. These past months have been extremely difficult and I am so grateful to each of you for loving me and cutting me the slack when I needed it. My heart swells as I think of everyone. I am truly blessed.

“I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy…And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ – to the glory and praise of God.” -- Philippians 1:3-11

No comments:

Post a Comment