Tuesday, October 2, 2007

An Eternal Perspective

This morning as I read the Bible, I came to a conclusion about my feelings. It’s not that my feelings aren’t valid. As a matter of fact, they’re quite human. It’s just that there is a bigger picture I have been failing to think about.

Anyone in my shoes would have a difficult time focusing on much other than what’s happening here. My dad is truly fighting for his life and my father-in-law has a battle of his own with this cancer. Daily, we hold our breath as the phone rings. There’s always that possibility that bad news could be coming our way.

At the same time, eternity needs to be my focus. I’m so consumed with wanting my dad to be here on this earth for the way I envisioned it that I’ve lost touch with what truly matters. I have this complete peace when it comes to eternity and my dad. So many do not share that peace. My dad has been so open with all the details of his battle as well as how he imagines greeting Jesus in the end of his life.

Eternity and the souls of men is truly the heart of the matter. This world is only temporary. Whether our dads are with us for 30 days or 30 years, eternity is forever.

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body." – Philippians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment