Monday, October 15, 2007

Stopping to "Smell the Flowers"

We celebrated Jaycie's 2nd birthday this Saturday. She turns 2 on Wednesday. As I look back over the years, it seems like time flies by so fast and I simply do not take time to "smell the flowers" enough. She is starting to say many new words (like "mine") and wants to do everything her big sister does.

It's funny how much a 2-year-old can understand. All day long she was asking for Papa and Gaga (my parents). I tried to explain to her that they wouldn't be coming as Dad is now fighting a stomach/intenstinal infection on top of everything else. It was likely more for the prevention of my own disappointment rather then hers that I informed her of their absence. Even still, as the doorbell rang, Jaycie asked, "Papa? Gaga?".

Her Great-Grandparents gave her a Curious George that tumbles as you push his head forward. Her Auntie Rhonda gave her some new silver shoes that Jaycie had to put on immediately enjoying the noise they made clonking on the wood floor. Her little friend Natalie gave her a Cabbage Patch baby that we couldn't get out of the package fast enough for her to hug. Yet, once again, the best present was simply the presence of my parents.

The older I get, the more I appreciate shared moments and quality time. Memory making is big for me. I scrapbook, snap photos and take videos quite often so memories can be documented. This celebration is one more moment that I am reminded to cherish. Every moment God gives me with those I love is a gift.

The Friday preceding her party, I was informed that Dad was not doing well. Because of my personality, it was really disturbing to me that we would have this party without my parents there. I also couldn't stop thinking about all the other memory-making moments coming upon us as the holidays approach. My emotions were so out-of-whack that I didn't even want to prepare for Jaycie's party -- and I had a whole lot to do. I shared this feeling with a couple of friends who informed me they would be praying. At the end of the day, God had given me enough peace of mind to get done what had to be done. I do not want my girls to miss out on life as I struggle with thoughts of what if's in the future.

If I think about the future, fear and worry can overwhelm me. When I allow God to handle the future and ask him for the peace and strength to help me live for today, I am able to "smell the flowers" more often.

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" -- Matthew 6:27

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, presnet your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." -- Philippians 4:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment