Monday, October 29, 2007

Weekend Getaway

This past weekend was spent at Grizzly Jack’s Grand Bear Resort in Starved Rock with Rod’s family. The family agreed to no longer exchange birthday gifts. Instead, it was decided to invest in an overnight event. We met Rod’s parents, sister, Aunt and Uncle and cousins in Utica for some quality time.

Nikelle remembered many details from our visit in June with the Swedish relatives. “Can I sleep on the top bed again?” Bunk beds are always an attraction for 5-year-olds. “The house is bigger than ours!” The open cabin gives a skewed view to a child. “I want to golf again.” We invested in a time of mini golf last visit and opted on the free playground this time around.

I would have to say that the highlight of the weekend was that Rod was able to stay overnight. (His visit was cut short due to work commitments the last time.) The other highlights were my time with Jaycie in the kiddie pool on Saturday and my time with Nike in the wave pool on Sunday.

I am often jealous of the time Rod has with the girls responsibility free. As a man, he is able to forget about everything else going on in our home and just focus on having fun with them. This is just the way God designed him and I am grateful the girls have these quality moments with their Daddy. Unfortunately, my heart is always torn between time with them and the responsibilities at home. Meals need to be made, laundry is always waiting, bath time beckons and the floors won’t clean themselves. This weekend, however, I was able to play.

Nikelle climbed on my back as the buzzer sounded to announce the beginning of waves in the pool. As the waves subsided, she announced it was time for my swim class. We played between the waterfalls and splashed Uncle Bob and Cousin Danny. “Do you know what my favorite time was?” I asked Nike. “What?” she anticipated the answer. “Right now. Swimming with you.” My heart swells as I recall the moment. I long for more time where I can just play with my girls.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about the girls!!! I often feel like I am missing out on their childhoods because I am worrying about cleaning the house or some other mundane task. I've tried to tell myself to just enjoy what time I have and I've realized that some of the things we do together that I used to consider to be "work" are really some of that quality time we long for with them. A perfect example might be your day of cleaning the garage in your jammies last week--the girls probably had a ball doing something "special" with mom. Enjoy all of it--it's definitely fleeting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete