Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Dad Update 11-20-07

I just had a lengthy conversation with my mom. It’s always comforting to me to be able to have those talks with her because they generally include the Bible. It’s just something that I need.

Today dad begins a continual 24-hour drip chemotherapy that he will receive all the way through Saturday (it will end Saturday night). His body is really experiencing the effects of this cancer. He sweats constantly (his clothes get drenched). He is taking in all kinds of fluids but doesn’t get much fluid out (other than the sweating). His stomach is bloated and his ankles are swollen from all the fluid in his body. Previously, we had been told that the fluids protect his organs from the chemotherapy and so he just needs to deal with it. At the same time, doctors are considering giving him some more lasix pills to help combat this problem. The cancer and all the drugs affect his mind as well. He told my mom this morning that it takes him a while to remember where he is and what is going on. This is such a terrible disease. My heart just hurts that he has to experience all of this.

There is so much information to take in. I just can’t get it all straight in my head. Basically, the doctors have stepped up to “ramming speed” (if you’ve ever watched Ben Hur – one of my dad’s favorite movies). They need to get this cancer out of his body and there is no time to mess around. He has some very tolling weeks ahead of him. God and God alone will get him through this. I’ve been praying that God will heal my dad and show us all that “He is the Lord”.

Mom told me that they are in a double room at Loyola right now. They don’t foresee anyone joining them this week as it is Thanksgiving and the doctors are trying to get their patients home for the holiday. Therefore, last night, one of the nurses encouraged mom to use the extra bed in the room to sleep on rather than the two chairs she generally forms her bed out of. This is encouraging that she can get some rest as she cares for dad. Please pray that she, too, remains healthy through this battle.

One further note: Dad’s white blood cell count is going to drop. He’s going to be very prone to infection. Great caution is going to need to be taken and visiting won’t be the same. It’s so crazy to think that last year at this time we were celebrating our last Thanksgiving with my Grandpa (Dad's dad). We said that this year Thanksgiving would go back to the way it was in years past. Little did we know... Please continue to pray for my family this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment