Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Forbidden Christmas

I hate the way Christmas is commercialized so early in the year. My dad has taught me to appreciate every little thing about Christmas and that is hard to do when it’s put in front of you before you even take the kids trick-or-treating.

Dad knew how to keep the holidays special. Anything Christmas was forbidden in our home until we were on our way home from the Thanksgiving feast. That’s when Christmas broke loose! Christmas music. Christmas movies. Decorations. Shopping. They were all kept special because of this.

That might be why my heart always sinks a bit every time I see a Christmas display or hear Christmas music prior to Thanksgiving. It makes me want to avoid shopping all together... until Friday that is!

1 comment:

  1. That's how our family is too Tristi. Nothing Christmas until after Thanksgiving. Let's take one holiday at a time - thank you very much! But we literally start all that is Christmas the day after Thanksgiving. There's a whole lot of festivity to fit into 25 days!

    ReplyDelete