Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I love you?

I was asked a question the other day that got me thinking. When we say the words "I love you" what do we mean? My first reaction was "I love you" means "I love you", kind of obvious, don't you think? Then I thought about it a little more. "I love food." "I love that song." "I love that outfit." "Love it!" "I love you." No wonder the question was raised. If you told someone those three words, "I love you" and they followed up with "What does that mean?" how would you answer them? I figured out my answer and shared my response with my inquirer. It was good to ponder as those words can be thrown around without meaning so easily. What are behind the words "I love you" when you say them?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tristi,

    It's lots of things. The love of a wife for her husband, the love of a mother for her child, or a sister or a friend or a cousin or a fellow servant in Christ.

    It means I enjoy your company, I learn from you, I am happy that you're in my life, I care about what happens to you and I am glad that God has given us to each other. In terms of things rather than people, I would think it means that which moves us or makes us feel exceptional in some way.

    I love easily as I tend to believe the in the best in people. It backfires miserably when that trust is betrayed, but that's a chance I'm willing to take. I would rather feel that pain than the pain of loneliness or distance.

    And I say it frequently - life is too short. Some have told me I say it too easily as well, that it should "really mean" something. Well, it does really mean something to me and I would rather give it away too freely than be too overly cautious with it.

    Not that I don't respect and understand those who see it differently - we're who God wired us to be. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine,
    Thanks for your openness. I'm with you. Life is too short. I thought it was good to actually think about what I mean when I say those three little words. Thanks for giving me your meaning.

    ReplyDelete