Friday, November 30, 2007

Nike's recent thoughts on Heaven

When we were leaving my parents house the other night (after the cherished conversation with my dad), Nikelle made an inquiry. “Mommy, when will Papa be able to go to the farm again?” I tried to keep the emotion out of my voice as I simply stated, “I don’t know, Nikelle. Papa has to get better first.”

Why was I blessed with a child that treasures moments as much as I do? It would be so much easier if I could just be alone in my thoughts. “Mommy?” I made myself listen to her rather than entertain my consuming thoughts of sadness. “If God has a farm in heaven, that’s where Papa would want to be.” It was more of a statement than a question. I shook my head in wonderment as the tears began to come, “You’re right, Nike. Papa would want to be at God’s farm.”

Where do these thoughts come from? “Yeah,” she continued. “He would have pigs… and goats... and sheep... and...” The excitement coming from her voice made it medicating for my heart. “There’d be cows at the farm, too… and roosters.” She was amplifying what my dad told me earlier. “If I die, I’ll be going to a better place.”

“Mommy, why don’t we hear roosters when we wake up?” I allowed myself to come back from my thoughts to live in the moment as Nikelle continued with her thoughts. So we talked about people waking up to rooster calls.



(On a side note: Her imagination runs wild. There aren't even any animals or buildings for that matter at Papa's farm yet. It's just some property with a picnic shelter and some ponds.)

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” – Revelation 21:1-4

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading a remarkable book called "Heaven," by Randy Alcorn. It's written in a light and readable style, but it's a long and scholarly work. It steadily works through questions about heaven, answering them with researched answers supported by Scripture. I saw on Amazon that there is also a version for kids; perhaps this is something you would enjoy looking at. I ordered my copy from the library, so there is at least one available from the library system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eva. I like what I've read of Randy Alcorn's. I'll possibly look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tristi,
    As a father, and close to your dad's age I can only hope that my children would cherish their time with me if I was in your dad's place.

    I think they would. But your dad knows for sure!

    Your time with him is some of the best medication his heart and body needs.

    Isn't it awesome to have a father who can with confidence encourage you during the uncertain times of his life or death?

    Isn't it just as comforting to have a heavenly father who does the same for us daily?

    Niki's words and thoughts of a better farm, a farm with so much more is "from the mouth of babes."

    Live for Jesus Today
    -
    Because it Matters!

    Uncle Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely, Uncle Charlie. Very true. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tristi, this was such a sweet moment. God bless Nike & her precious little heart!

    ReplyDelete