Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Comfortable in my own skin

If you’ve never been to a Weight Watchers meeting, let me tell you, the first experience can be a little unsettling. You sit in a meeting room filled with people who celebrate a 0.2-pound weight loss. That’s right. If a person loses any kind of weight, even if it isn’t a full pound, we clap (and tell each other we’re burning calories at the same time). There are times I feel a little bit like standing up and saying, “Hi. My name is Tristi. I’m a food addict.” Even still, I’ve been attending meetings since 2003 and Weight Watchers has been highly effective in helping me maintain my weight loss.

The leader at last week’s meeting spoke about something that has stuck with me this week. She asked how many of us liked to eat when we were bored. So, I raised my hand. I like to eat for any reason possible. If boredom is an excuse, so be it. Then she followed up her question with another question. How many of you are the same people who say you don’t have enough time in the day to get things done? I could tell she was going somewhere with this and wasn’t so certain I wanted to hear what she had to say.

On numerous occasions this week, instead of eating, I chose to accomplish something. My Christmas cards are in the mail. Tomorrow morning, the plan is that Nikelle and I will begin baking cookies. I have a much cleaner, organized home than I have had in months. In general, I feel much better about myself as I go to weigh in this week.

I may not be at that magic number yet. (I’ve been yo-yoing for 2 years now.) That doesn’t matter. What matters is that I make healthy choices. What matters is that I am comfortable in my own skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment