Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Question Answered

We know what real love is because Jesus gave up His life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. – 1 John 3:16

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. – John 15:13


I previously shared that I was asked the question, “When you say the words ‘I love you’, what do you mean?” After pondering this question for some time, I gave my definition of to the inquirer.

Love is sacrifice. “I love you,” says you mean more to me than myself. God is love. Therefore, when I say, “I love you,” I am telling you that God’s love flows through me for you. I want what is best for you. When you hurt, I hurt. I want to experience life with you.

I think the key to this conversation with my inquirer is found in 1 John 3:18.

Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.

We must back up our words with our actions. If not, our words become cheap. It is so easy to throw around the words “I love you”. The important thing is that there be sincerity in our words (Romans 12:9).

I have learned to say these three little words more often to the people I cherish. I trust that my actions support my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment