Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The gift of today

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. – Psalm 118:24

Not everyone is given this gift I have been given. God is teaching me to cherish each moment with my Dad -- and all my loved ones for that matter. I have been given this gift. The knowledge that life is short is all too clear to me. Many lose someone in an unexpected moment. God has allowed me to prepare my heart for the moment that may come all too soon (although I continue to pray for a miracle).

I’ve always pictured my future with family parties -- my parents in attendance. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Birthdays, etc., were envisioned with a full family. My children playing with their cousins while their grandparents watch their interactions. Why wouldn't I hope for a future this way? After all, it's how I grew up.

Reality is that we don’t know how much longer my Dad has with us. “Months and months” are now what we are hearing. Maintenance chemotherapy will allow Dad to live his life with us and we need to cherish each and every moment. Rather than wonder if Dad will see my kids grow up, the doctors have narrowed my mind to wonder if he'll live to share Easter with us. Still, I choose to believe in a God that works miracles. Living in today, I'm thankful his white blood cell count is now down to 7. We have the hope to have him with us tomorrow.

This is the day that the Lord has made. I WILL rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment