Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A sheltered life altered

My children are healthy. I have a husband who loves me. All 4 of my grandparents were a part of my life for 29 years. (My paternal grandpa died in January 2007.) All of my siblings and cousins are alive and well. My life has gone pretty much as hoped and expected. No big problems or tragedies.

When people would ask the question "Why us?" as Dad battled through the cancer, Dad would respond with "Why not us?" He knew how sheltered our lives had been and how no one can expect to be exempt from this kind of pain.

I have not had to face anything like this before. Cancer was always a distant word. Death never stared me in the eyes like it has this past year. I think that may be why Dad's death is extra difficult for me to cope with. Fear grips me. If Dad could get cancer and die before his 56th birthday, what does that say about the future? What other unkowns are there that I will have to face?

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." - John 14:27

No comments:

Post a Comment