Monday, April 28, 2008

Dad's Birthday

I was surprised at how my emotions were fairly controlled yesterday. The first thing I thought about when I woke up was that it would've been his 56th birthday. I continue to do my best to give thanks to God for everything and seek His peace to carry me through these days. Rod asked me at breakfast about Dad's birthday and that created some tears. Still, it wasn't necessary to focus on that. I choose to focus on his life. God blessed us with so many wonderful memories with Dad and I am so grateful for the time God gave me with him. I'm blessed beyond words to have had Will R. Tuttle as my Daddy.

Mom prepared roast and mashed potatoes with some frozen vegetables from Dad's garden yesterday. As I mashed the potatoes for the meal, I recalled how Dad would serve them up with the potato masher. "Trist, ya want one slop or two?" he'd always ask. I'd have to take two because in a family of six, with two growing boys, there wasn't much opportunity for seconds.

As I was focused on the mashed potatoes, Mom asked everyone what they were thankful for before we ate lunch. I am forever thankful that God has given me the hope and peace that I will see Dad again in heaven. Without it, I just don't know how people go on living with the pain caused from the loss of a loved one.

Later, Traci had brought a balloon over for the kids to let go into the sky in honor of Dad's birthday. Mom attached an index card to the string which she put verses from 1 Thessalonians 4 on. "But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words." And so I find some comfort.

I miss having conversations about God and the Bible with my Dad. Those were some precious moments that I was privileged to share with him. I remember when Rod and I were dating. Rod would come to pick me up for church on Sunday mornings. Dad would be sitting at the dining room table with his coffee and Dunkin Donuts (one of the very few sweets he allowed himself to indulge in) reading his Bible. As we joined him at breakfast, we would talk about God and the Bible.

There was also a time in our past when Dad and Mom hosted a Bible study in their home. I'm so grateful that Rod and I were there at that time. I was not always with for the Bible study time because there were some teen girls I had a study with. Still, I treasure being able to worship God together through hymns and praise songs prior to the study. And he would discuss the Bible further after study or prior to with me as well. I can't wait to get to heaven and do all that again with my Dad and everyone else.

I think if I had to choose one thing to remember about my dad, it would be him sitting at the dining room table on Sunday mornings reading his Bible. For this, I am most grateful because He taught me the importance of checking everything in my life against God's Word as well. God's Word is the only place I find peace here on this earth.

2 comments:

  1. What a precious memory to hold onto of your dad. And I can't help but think your dad would be so happy to see how you and your family members are leaning on each other and helping each other lean on God while you grieve him not being with you anymore. I'm feeling for you and praying for you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about your family this weekend, knowing it was your dad's birthday. Don't we have an amazing God who gives us such hope?! His promises are true and He is faithful. We can count on it. God's plans for us give us a hope and a future. We can look forward to the blessed hope and the glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Like you said, where would we be without it?

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete