Friday, April 25, 2008

"Life is Short"

"Life is short" is a phrase we hear often. However, I don't believe we truly understand the message behind it until we experience the brevity of life personally.

There have been people I love that have passed away at different ages. With each of them, however, their death did not have a daily impact on my life. There are constant reminders of my dad every day. Many days will leave me in a downward spiral that I create on my own. A memory will be triggered and I will pull out pictures or allow myself to dwell on other memories.

Since Dad's death, I've been thinking a lot about some verses in 2 Samuel 12. The child that was to be born to King David and Bathsheba as a result of their sin against God was going to die. Verse 16 begins,

"David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and went into his house and spent the nights lying on the ground. The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them. On the seventh day the child died. David's servants were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they thought, "While the child was still living, we spoke to David but he would not listen to us. How can we tell him the child is dead? He may do something desperate." David noticed that his servants were whispering among themselves and he realized the child was dead. "Is the child dead?" he asked. "Yes," they replied, "he is dead." Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped. Then he went to his own house, and at his request they served him food, and he ate. His servants asked him, "Why are you acting this way? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept, but now that the child is dead, you get up and eat!" He answered, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, 'Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.' But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

I've been thinking. Dad is no longer part of this life. It's just a fact. We still share memories of his life. He is a part of who we are. As for the future, there are no more memories with him. Eternity will be shared with him but as for this life, he is no longer. It does no good to continually sit around and cry. Yes, I will miss him. Yes, I will cry. It's human. I don't mind crying but there is no reason for me to "wish" that this wasn't true. Because it is. "Wishing" is not going to bring him back. Nothing will. I need to accept this and live life. It's what he'd want and it's what God wants. I miss him in a big way but I will not sit around any longer and say, "I wish it wasn't true" because it is.

This Sunday would have been his 56th birthday. We lost someone who had a huge impact on our lives and I will always have a piece of me missing because of it. Unfortunately, death is part of life. We don't get to celebrate another year of his life but we can celebrate his life every day by living ours and remembering him. Afterall, this earthly life is short.

No comments:

Post a Comment