Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

This year, my Mother's Day started around 11:30 p.m. the night before. My two-and-a-half-year-old woke up crying. This has been a continual habit that I can no longer tolerate. I am desperate for some nights of uninterrupted sleep. Especially because I know that hope will be gone in just a few short months when my third child is due. After already attending to her a few times previously, the sound of crying "Mommy!" just sent me over the edge. I took her out of her bed and placed her in bed with my husband. I exlaimed (as any tired pregnant control-freak mother would; I'll leave the details to your imagination) that I was going to sleep with my oldest daughter and leaving the youngest there for him to attend to. I heard her wake up numerous more times throughout the night. Thankfully, my husband attended to her and I was able to sleep fairly soundly in the other room.

The alarm was set for 6:00 a.m. to get out the door in time to pick up my mom for breakfast and a day at the zoo. As I heard the wind and rain pounding outside, I knew immediately that the predicted weather reports were right for once and we were going nowhere. Oh, well. With a busy day previously, I was actually quite fine with just starting the morning slowly at home. I continued to sleep in until almost 8:00 a.m. with my oldest daughter (a gift in and of itself as she is normally an early riser).

We came downstairs where I expected my husband to be with the youngest but realized she was still sleeping soundly (another gift). So far, Mother's Day wasn't off to a terrible start.

My husband gave me a movie I will enjoy relaxing too. My kindergartener brought in the "surprise" she had made for me at school. I opened my "Wow. Mom." card which stated "Happy Mather's Day. To Tristi. From Nikelle." in her phonetic spelling. There is something sweet about receiving one of the first gifts to come from her heart. Then I opened the gift she was so excited to give. It was a pillow that she stuffed with the words "World's Greatest Mom" on both sides. I truthfully told her that it was the best gift I ever received. Considering my love for sleep, a movie and a pillow were wonderful gifts.

I called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. We talked for quite a while and I informed her that we'd likely head over to her place later in the day. Once I hung up with her, my husband heard our youngest awaken and went to get her. Awaiting their return from upstairs, I thought "this has been a good start to this Mother's Day despite our change of plans." When he brought our youngest down, her face was covered with snot. Her eyes were watery and she looked like she may have a fever. Great. A sick child on Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to me!

My husband called his mom to give her Mother's Day wishes and advise her of our change of plans. After an extended stay in the hospital due to a blood infection on top of the leukemia he is fighting, his dad was informed yesterday that he should be able to go home today. So the rain assisted in making my husband available to help in any way needed with transporting his dad home. After speaking to his mother, there was concern about the hospital staff wanting to move his father to the dimensia ward. The pain medication his dad was given after having the old port removed (where the infection likely originated) and the new one inserted has effected his mind. This was not a surprise by any means. The pain medication has created this problem in the past and yesterday, his dad was well aware that he was not thinking right. I encouraged my husband to take a shower and get over to the hospital to be with his dad. Coming to the realization that this day was not going to be anything like I had hoped, I watched my husband walk out the door to be with his dad.

My sick little girl no longer needed to be held as the medicine finally kicked in. So, I decided to get breakfast ready. Heading to the bathroom first, I noticed that my oldest forgot to flush the toilet. Or so I thought. When I flushed the handle, I quickly realized that my day would now have plunging the toilet added to the list. Lovely.

Mother's Day is supposed to be a day to celebrate mom. A day for her to relax and be catered to. Or so that's what we hear from Hallmark. I suppose this Mother's Day I am doing exactly what I am supposed to. Taking care of my girls and supporting my husband in this rough reality of life we are facing.

Our lives seem to revolve around our kids and cancer patients right now. "Take time for yourself." "Take time to invest in your marriage." These are all great words of advice. Ones I would strongly agree with. Still, good words of advice are not always easy to apply. This season of our lives just doesn't seem to cooperate so well with our desires. Which makes me think. What will life be like once this third child enters the world? Especially when our lives are already faced with so many demands?

To all you moms out there whose day didn't go exactly as planned, you're not alone. What better way to acknowledge Mother's Day then to thrive in motherhood itself! And let's not forget, "this too shall pass"!

1 comment:

  1. Been there...done that! I've come to the conclusion that Mother's Day is whenever I choose. Its those amazing days that you are just overcome with love for your children. Or when you wonder why God would entrust these kids to you. When they just want to snuggle up with you. Mostly when they get along with each other and you realize that they really do love each other. It gave me more insight into my own mom. Its when I knew just how much she must have loved me. Happy Mother's Day, Tristi! You have been blessed!

    Love,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete