Monday, September 15, 2008

Perfectionism and Humility

I have perfectionist tendencies. They come from my Dad. He was always striving for perfection. One problem with perfectionism, for me, is that I beat myself up when I realize I've made a mistake.

For example, I just sent out some birth announcements to family. I did birth announcements for the other two girls so I knew I would do them for Andelise as well. The bulk of the announcement was completed prior to her birth. I just had to finalize them now that we knew for certain that she was a girl. On Saturday, I finally mailed them out with a sense of relief that I could check the task off of my to do list.

Last night as I was getting Ande to sleep, the realization hit me. I spelled Rod's grandpa's name wrong. His name was Bror Anders. I spelled it Broar Anders. Why? Who knows. I typed it up when I was pregnant. That's always a problem. My brain is far from working accurately when I am pregnant. I hate that I realized this mistake because the announcements are already gone and there is nothing I can do about it... other than beat myself up and let my day go in a downward spiral. Silly, I know. It's something I have to intentionally fight against.

I tell myself that it's done. The mistake is made. I can't change it now. I'm going to look a little stupid to his family members. Good thing I explained our decision process with Andelise's name so that I don't have to tell the story over and over again. Now I get to explain that I did realize I spelled Grandpa Andy's name wrong but it was too late to change it.

I suppose for a perfectionist, these things happen to keep me humble. I'm not perfect no matter how hard I try. I shouldn't expect it of others and I shouldn't expect it of myself. Strive to do my best and expect and accept some lessons in humility.

2 comments:

  1. Tristi,
    Why don't you send out another announcement with the correct spelling and a funny comment that says, "just in case you didn't get the first one" :) ... it might put your perfectionist mind at ease.
    From one perfectionist to another..I didn't realize we had that in common!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete