Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Trick or Treat, Smell my Feet

Trick or Treat
Smell my feet
Give me something good to eat
If you don't, I don't care
I'll just pull down your underwear

This is what Nikelle came home having learned on the bus today. I know everyone learns this little rhyme at some point in their life. It's just a silly little rhyme. Still, I hate that she is growing up. I hate that little by little, she is losing her innocence. I want to keep her young and naive for as long as possible. Thankfully, this is mild in comparison to what she could be learning on the bus. Still, I have to stress to her that although it's a funny little jingle that she can use at home, it is not something nice to say when she is out trick-or-treating. We'll see if she remembers this when Halloween rolls around.

I may not be able to protect her from everything. She is out in the world and she's bound to learn things I don't want her to learn. I just pray that we always have a relationship where she will share with me what she is learning. I want to guide her in a way that doesn't feel condemning when she talks with me but rather allows her to continue to feel welcome to share, all the while learning to make right choices.

Any input?

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I'm in the same boat as you - I hope to gain insight from others too!

    I try really hard to show Ava that she can come to me with these things. There are times I have to take a deep breath & bite my tongue before speaking or keep myself from putting my head in my hands!

    I try to start out with "Thank you Ava for sharing this with me. I like hearing about your friends & the things you do." Then I move to the "however..." part. I also physically get down to her level when we have those talks. That way, I don't feel like I'm talking down to her, and hopefully, she doesn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading any responses to this. I know that we will be there all too soon!

    ReplyDelete