Monday, October 27, 2008

Investments

Rod and I went out last night with my brother and sister-in-law. We saw the movie, Fireproof, starring Kirk Cameron. It was clearly not made in Hollywood but still a good flick. So much of the movie caused me to realize that I need to appreciate Rod more and show him. When we're dating, it's easy to go the extra mile to show we care. Why it is that when we are married we become more selfish? It's beyond me. Marriage takes work and intentional guestures to keep love alive.

The movie is based on a "Love Dare". It just shows how one person can make a difference in a marriage even when the other has stepped out. I can attest to this as our marriage went through some rough times, especially early on. I was married young - 18 to be exact. Rod is 7 years older than me. Thankfully, he was more mature as well. Not just in a mental or emotional way but also spiritually. Rod gave our marriage 150% when I had mentally and emotionally stepped out. I wanted our marriage to work. I didn't want to have a failed marriage. I knew divorce wasn't an option but I had set myself up for a life of misery. Thankfully, I had a husband who continued to love me when I was most unlovable. He petitioned God for our marriage. He fasted asking God to change my heart. He allowed God to work in me as he waited and gave himself selflessly.

Fireproof shows what God can do when people submit to Him and allow His love to flow through them. I am so grateful that God loves me even when I reject Him. I am also forever grateful that my husband allowed God's love to flow through Him and he stayed in a marriage when the world would have told him he was justified to leave.

I hear the movie isn't in theaters in Joliet any longer. I believe Orland Park is the closest theater still showing it. The content is uplifting and we don't often get to walk away from movies feeling challenged to love and live for God. If you desire to have more movies of substance in the theaters, make a point to get out and see it at the theater. It's worth the investment to support movies like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment