Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Busyness - 11/18

I'm a little late in sitting down to write a post today. I didn't have a chance to write one previously so I could schedule a post either.

Usually, I enjoy writing in the morning when my thoughts are clear and I have a little bit of time to myself. This morning, however, I had it calendared that some friends were coming over. I had dishes on the counter and in the sink, groceries on the floor from shopping the night before that I was too tired to put away and toys scattered around the house.

I spent my time cleaning and made a snack for my company to enjoy. As I made the monkey bread, I talked on the phone with a friend, dressed the girls and attempted to straighten up the house a bit. Shortly after hanging up the phone, the baby woke up and my friends knocked on the door.

We visited and had good conversation. The baby slept in my arms and the older kids played so we were able to have some good discussions. Too soon, it was lunchtime. We threw some chicken nuggets in the oven and fed the kids. We picked up the new mess of toys and it was time to get on with our day. Nikelle would be home from school shortly. It was a busy day and it wasn't even 3:00 p.m. yet.

Yesterday was busy, too. As a matter of fact, so was the weekend. Life is busy. Oftentimes, I feel that life is too busy. My obligations can keep me from seeing certain friends, relaxing, exercising, scrapbooking or doing other things that I enjoy. I place my head on the pillow most nights completely exhausted (if I haven't first fallen asleep downstairs).

Today, as I went to get Nikelle from the bus stop, I thought about what I was thankful for. I was too busy to think about it until then. That's when it came to me... busyness is a good thing. Dirty dishes mean we have plenty to eat. A dirty house means we have shelter from the cold and a place to call home. Children to care for means we are blessed with a family. Calendar obligations show that we have an abundance of family and friends. We have a full life and I am grateful.

"Thank you, Lord, for this busy life. Thank you that we have purpose and our life is full. Help our busyness to always be time used for you rather than just a to do list on our calendar."

No comments:

Post a Comment