Thursday, November 13, 2008

November 13th

I waited 20 minutes for the bus to come pick my daughter up for school yesterday. Thankfully, it wasn't all that cold in the morning. A substitute bus driver pulled up and I knew to prepare myself for the afternoon.

I told myself to be ready for a bit of a wait as I went to pick Nike up from the bus stop after school. The baby was in her crib sleeping and Jaycie was on the family room floor playing with puzzles. I bundled up, leashed the dog and went to wait.

After 10 minutes, I began to pray that all was well with my oldest daughter as well as my little ones still inside the house. My mind began to create scenarios in my head. I could hear Ande screaming in my mind (she's a block away in a house without the windows open...I certainly couldn't really hear her). That led me to think about Jaycie deciding to take care of her and climbing up to see her in the crib. That would lead to problems and I just had to go back to praying.

I went back and forth in my mind as to whether or not I should ask my sister to go to the house and be with the little ones. After 20 minutes, I called my sister. She lives about a mile away. I asked her to go to my house because I can't be at the bus stop as well as in the house with the girls. In this cold weather, I'm not going to take the girls out to the bus stop with me. Besides, there is generally a 10 minute window I can count on and the girls are better of inside (usually sleeping). I knew my sister being with the little ones would calm my nerves a bit.

The same neighbor that came out the last time the bus was late, talked with me again. This helped time to pass a little more quickly and kept my mind from creating problems. We both agreed the now 30 minute wait was a bit ridiculous. As he went back into his house, I called the school. I figured it was about time to confirm the bus was late simply due to a substitute driver and not because of anything serious. That was confirmed.

Relief was mixed with fear and irritation. It's difficult to get one's emotions reigned in when the wait is 40 minutes long. The bus was over 40 minutes late when I saw it pass the street it was supposed to turn on to bring Nike home. I suppose that's what it had been doing all afternoon.

Once again, no apology came when those bus doors opened. I don't believe I smiled at the driver although I did smile at Nikelle. When it's all said and done, I'm just thankful she's safely home.

Today, I'm thankful for family. My sister is always ready to help when I need her. My brothers and our moms are the same way. Everyone is in fairly close proximity to one another. I have extended family nearby as well. It's nice to have a family support system. I know I am blessed to have them.

Oh, yeah. When I got home, Ande was still sleeping. Jaycie was still in the family room now accompanied by her cousin and Aunt. All was well.

"Thank you, Lord, for family."

2 comments:

  1. We've all been there. I cannot tell you how many mornings I waited, how many calls we made and how few apologies were issued.

    Actually, my favorite bus story...I was waiting with Brian and a big old buck came running down the street and within 10 feet of us. It was the coolest, scariest thing.

    BTW...that was at the old house just a couple blocks from church. Nature in Joliet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool. This morning I attempted to change my thinking on things. As we were waiting for the bus (late again), I had Nike read to me because we didn't get the opportunity last night. I think this was better than her continual hearing her mother say "where is your bus?" and griping and complaining. I felt much better about the wait walking back to the house.

    ReplyDelete