Saturday, November 15, 2008

November 15th - Thank You

I received a call from my friend the other day. She informed me that her neighbor's son passed away. He was only six-years-old. He battled Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. (If it sounds familiar, that's because Dad's body was attacked by the same cancer.) She gave me the link to a website documenting his battle with cancer.


A few weeks ago, I heard that my brother's neighbor was killed in a motorcycle accident. He left behind three little girls under the age of six-years-old as well as a wife who was expecting their fourth child at any moment. Doctors induced her shortly after and she gave birth to another little girl. These little ones will grow up without their daddy. This wife and mom has no choice but to go it alone.

My heart breaks in both of these situations. I can identify with them as they both share in my stage of life. I find myself thanking God for my kids and my husband. All the things that create stress and build up in my life don't seem nearly as terrible when news like this comes to the surface.

I can hug my kids and kiss my husband. I can wake up in the middle of the night to care for a nursing baby, a child who wants her mommy, or a first grader who has had a nightmare. I can make dinner for my husband and wash his clothes. I can see their smiles, laugh together and receive and give hugs.

I'm certain I'll get caught up in the rat race of life again and be tempted to forget what a privilege I have each and every day. These reminders will always surround me. Every moment is a gift. There is no promise of tomorrow.

"Thank you, Lord, for a change of perspective."

No comments:

Post a Comment