Friday, November 7, 2008

Thank You 7

As we walk back from the bus stop, my daughter shuffles through the colorful fallen leaves with her feet. Her face smiles as she watches her feet toss the leaves around her. My thoughts go to wondering why people take time to rake the leaves as I enjoy the colors covering the ground, the sound of the leaves crunching beneath our toes and the smell of fall ever present in the air.

Changing seasons are one reason I enjoy living in the Chicagoland area. We experience Spring, Summer, Winter and Autumn every year. Some seasons are longer than others but they're still there. The rain and blooming of the spring season. The swimming and fun of summertime. The snow and warmth that still accompanies the cold of winter with the holidays. The harvest and barrenness of the plants coming with the Fall Autumn.

I don't enjoy every season equally. My body doesn't do well in the heat so I tend to enjoy the colder months more than the dead heat of summer enjoyed so much by my dad. Still, as each season comes to a close, I seem to be ready for it. Ready to experience the joys of the next. I'm ready to shed our hats and gloves by winter's end. The smell of rain in the Spring brings life alive again as I look forward to the girls being able to run, play and swim outside in the summer. And I'm always done with the heat when the leaves start to change and we anticipate going into somewhat of a hibernation again.

Change is not something I embrace. Yet as I think about the changing seasons, I can't help but wonder if God gives us these to assist us in coping with our seasons of life. Seasons end. New ones begin. We may miss swimming in the pond under the sun but the weather must change to experience the joy of making angels in the snow.

There are many memories with our dads. Some that make me long for seasons past. I must embrace the new season in order to truly experience it though. Longing for seasons that are gone will only bring sadness, grief and frustration. Looking forward to the new seasons allow my heart to beat again. It allows me to find joy in the grief and hope as I know the season of eternity is not far away.

Thank you, Lord, for changing seasons.

2 comments:

  1. Tristi - I look forward to reading your Thank You posts every morning. They are so well written & beautiful. What an awesome heart you have...thanks for the reminders of all we have to be thankful for!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kelly. I appreciate the encouragement. It's good for me, too. I tend to think of myself as a fairly grateful person but identifying one thing each day makes me more aware.

    ReplyDelete