Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas and Tears

On the ride home last night, I heard the lyrics to a song I don't believe I've heard before. It applied to my heart this year.

I think of loved ones who’ve passed away
And I pray their resting in a better place
I think of memories of years gone by
And sometimes Christmas makes me cry

I think of soldiers across the sea
Sometimes I wonder its them instead of me
For my freedom they give their lives
And sometimes Christmas makes me cry

Tears of thankfulness, tears of hope
I cry tears of joy at Christmas cause I know
There is peace on earth for every heart to find
And sometimes Christmas makes me cry

I think of families, I think of home
And say a prayer for those who spend this time alone
Cause love can reach out into a silent night
And that’s why Christmas makes me cry

Tears of thankfulness, tears of hope
I cry tears of joy at Christmas cause I know
There is peace on earth for every heart to find
And sometimes Christmas makes me cry

I think of Mary and the virgin birth
And I’m amazed at how much God thinks we’re worth
That He would send His only Son to die
And sometimes Christmas makes me cry

Tears of thankfulness, tears of hope
I cry tears of joy at Christmas cause I know
There is peace on earth for every heart to find
And sometimes Christmas makes me cry

This morning I cried. Dad's chair will be empty at the breakfast table this morning. Rod's dad won't greet us with herring, cheese, sardines and hardtack Christmas morning. There are clouds overshadowing Andelise's first Christmas. We are going to have to be intentional about focusing on the true meaning of Christmas as well as on our kids so that the floodgates of tears don't pour open these next couple of days.

It will be easy to focus on the sadness. I'm a traditionalist and if you've been following my blog, you know how important traditions are to me. Dad set up a lot of traditions. This year we're breaking many of them. Well, maybe breaking isn't a great word. Starting new ones. Things are different. In order to cope, we are starting new traditions this year. It's going to be some difficult days now as the busyness of preparation is over and Christmas is here.

I take comfort in knowing that God came near. He became human for us. Immanuel. He understands every pain we endure. Jesus wept. He knows what it is like to lose somebody we love.

3 comments:

  1. Starting new traditions...I like that.

    Tristi, you guys are all on my heart & in my prayers. While I'm sure there will be more tears, I pray that your days are full of some of the sweetest moments ever.

    I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like the idea of starting new traditions. You guys have been on my mind a lot over this Christmas season, but it sounds like you are doing a good job at remaining positive!

    ReplyDelete