Saturday, January 3, 2009

Here's to a more intentional 2009!

I tend to get overwhelmed when I think of "New Year's Resolutions". There is a huge list of things I need to improve on. Everywhere I turn I am listening to advice of things I should be doing to improve my well being. All of these things are good. They are helpful. They are worth pursuing. Still, when I get overwhelmed, I don't want to do anything. I just want to crawl into bed and go to sleep. That is where I find the most peace. I've said it before and I have yet to stop believing it, there is something wonderful about laying my head on a pillow, snuggling under a blanket and closing my eyes.

I need to spend more time reading my Bible and praying. This is the most important. Without time with God, my life becomes meaningless.

I need to focus on developing a healthier lifestyle. The thing is that I enjoy food of all kinds. This is a continual struggle for me. I was doing very well with changing my eating habits until the holidays and sickness hit us. Now I have to start all over again. Developing a healthier lifestyle also includes exercise. I have yet to find a way to incorporate exercise into this new chapter of life we have entered with three kids.

I spent the other morning writing down 10 things to improve on in this new year. I don't know if I'll accomplish all of them continually but I attempted to make reasonable goals.

I'm setting the goal of spending 5 minutes with God each day. It may seem like minimal time, but my goal is to set goals that I can complete. I can always dedicate more time later but hopefully 5 minutes a day will help me reform the habit of time alone with Him daily.

I want to eat 3 fruits and/or vegetables every day. Ideally, I'd eat 5. Eating 3 gives me one with each meal. I figure setting the bar low will help me feel like I've accomplished a goal rather than being overwhelmed and chucking my goal.

I'm setting the goal to do one thing each day to display love to my husband. May sound like a silly goal to some but I find that it's easy to go through my day overlooking him and pushing my marriage to the side if I'm not intentional.

I want to implement the Bible into our daily life. To begin with, Nikelle memorizes a verse for AWANA each week. I think we will start to use this verse weekly for our family to focus on.

I want to be more intentional about praying at meals. I know I've mentioned this previously on my blog. I'm not good at thanking God this way. I'm looking into using form prayers at lunchtime to set an example of thankfulness at meals for my girls.

I want to scrapbook at least once a month. I'd love to do more than this but hopefully this goal will take me out of the pit I have fallen into with this hobby.

I've set a certain amount of money to save each month. We teach Nikelle the 10/10/80 plan with the money she receives. (10-giving/10-savings/80-spending) Still, we have a difficult time living this out.

I want to clean part of the house each day. May sound strange, but I can easily go without cleaning the house for days. It's not a priority and than it becomes overwhelming and before I know it, I'm living in a pit where I don't want any company.

I want to do some form of exercise just for 10 minutes, 3 times/week. Stretching counts. I also have the goal to run a 5K this summer. Not a marathon. That's unrealistic. A 5K on the other hand is quite doable.

I have also set a broader goal of simply watching less television and reading more and listening to music more. This in turn, will help me listen more to God.

I'm attempting to choose things that help me with my purpose in life. I want to be intentional in everything I do.

I'm not setting New Year's Resolutions. I am setting goals. I want to strive daily to improve my life. To be a better wife, mom and friend. To do this, I must spend time with the One who fills my soul and can give me what I need to live a more purposeful life. Everything else should follow.

Hopefully setting these goals will make for a more intentional 2009!

"If you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God." ~ Proverbs 2:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment