Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How am I living?

I'm currently reading the Book of Proverbs. Our Pastor has always suggested that if you don't have a current reading plan, Proverbs is a good book to go with. 31 chapters. 31 days in a month. I decided this was a good plan to go with for January as I am attempting to spend at least 5 minutes a day with God. (It's gone well so far.)

Today is January 6 so I'm reading chapter 6. Proverbs 6:21-23 says, "Keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life."

I've always read these verses reflecting on my parents' instructions to me. Today I read it in a different light. I don't know why it wasn't until today that I read these from the eyes of a parent (as I've been one now for over 6 years) instead of a child but it is (maybe I'm just officially old).

So, I had to ask myself, "Am I living and teaching in a way that is worth binding upon my child's heart forever? Worthy of fastening around their necks? Should my teaching guide them when they walk? Watch over them? Speak to them? A lamp? A light? How am I living?" I know there is plenty of room for improvement. My example, to begin with, can afford a lot of changing. I wouldn't want them to mirror most of my behaviors.

Once again, I am pressed with the importance of spending time reading my Bible and being in prayer. Without God in my life, there simply is no reason for them to respect my teaching. The only reason what I teach would be worthy of anything in this passage is if I am giving them the Word of God.

Yesterday, I'm pretty certain that I heard my daughter use the words, "Oh my God". I am hypersensitive to this one. At the same time, I know how easy it is to repeat words we continually hear all the time. I'm certain she hears this one a lot just about everywhere she turns. As I questioned her on what she said, I could sense she felt she was in trouble. I assured her she wasn't in trouble. I just wanted her to understand the value behind God's name. The respect and reverance we are supposed to have in using His name and I enforced this with the commandment "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." It truly is a relief in parenting to know your instructions are coming from the Creator. There's no arguing. Not my rule. It's His. Yep, feels pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment