Friday, February 6, 2009

God sees my lack of discipline

"For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and He examines all his paths. The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly." - Proverbs 5:21-23

It seems like any time we have some sort of treat in the house, I wait until I'm all alone and "sneak" some of it. When no one is looking, I'll walk over to the fridge or pantry and quickly eat it thinking no one sees. My husband has actually commented that I have a "guilty" look on my face at different moments due to this. In reading this verse, I'm reminded that despite what I think I may be "sneaking", God still sees all that I do. Remembering this might just help me the next time I hear the chocolate calling from the pantry while the girls are being put to bed by their daddy.

Many people talk about losing weight for their health. We hear how they want to lose weight so they can be around to see their childs' weddings or meet their grandchildren. This verse tells me I will die for lack of discipline.

It's my own fault. I can't blame my eating habits on the fact that, while vacationing, my dad used to have us eat a big breakfast and then wait to eat again until dinner. I can't use the excuse that my mom medicated me with Fudgesicles after a bicycle accident. I can't blame it on the fact that I was raised going to smorgasbords which taught me to stuff as much in as possible in one sitting. I've tried to blame everyone and everything. I can give an excuse every time. Truth is, I choose to overeat. I choose the path of gluttony. I choose not to be disciplined. I am led astray by my own great folly. It's time for a change. I need to quit with the excuses.

God sees me...even when I try to quick shove that miniature candy bar into my mouth by the side of the fridge and then hide the wrapper in the garbage. Yes, I've had three kids. Yes, my dad and my father-in-law both died of cancer. That doesn't give me a reason to medicate myself with food. It's time for some discipline. It's time for some change.

No comments:

Post a Comment