Thursday, February 19, 2009

Needed: Early Prayer

"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." - Mark 1:35

I woke up around 5 this morning. On a typical morning, I won't awaken until closer to 6 and it is often due to a call from one of my girls. This morning, however, I woke up and felt as though I could actually function if I began my day. I found myself a place on the bathroom floor with the fan running to block out any noise and opened my journal and my Bible. I always feel more refreshed and better able to face the day when my morning starts out in some time with God.

I chose to read Mark 1 because Rod is leading a Bible study in our home tonight on the Book of Mark. This verse struck me once again. It's interesting because I will often justify why I don't have the time to spend with God to start my day. If it's not the girls demanding my attention immediately or the "to do" list spinning around in my mind, it's the dog, my husband, Weight Watchers or something else that requires immediate attention. I feel like I cannot fit God into my day. Jesus, on the other hand, God himself, got up early in the morning to spend time with God the Father in prayer prior to starting His day. Do I think I am better the God's Son?

Jill Savage, founder of Hearts at Home, and the author of one of my current book reads, "Real Moms...Real Jesus", had something worthy to say on this topic. She said that it's my pride that keeps Jesus out of my day. I feel I can get through the day just fine without Him. It doesn't matter that self-control comes much easier on the days I take time out with Him. It doesn't matter that it's been proven over and over again that I am able to handle much better what comes my way when I start my day with Him. So many times I feel I can justify a few more moments of sleep rather than use those few moments to help focus my day correctly. This really struck a heart cord. I am a proud person. I don't ask for help too often. I have no self-control. I beat myself up for not being able to overcome temptation. I find myself in a pool of guilt over the way I blow up at my kids and my husband. Yet I'm too proud to confess my sins, accept God's help and move forward.

Today is different.

"Lord, thank you for the example of starting the day in prayer yourself. Too often I think I can conquer today without you. Please forgive me. Help me to turn to you with each trial that comes my way. Give me the strength to exercise self-control when it comes to food and my temper. Help me to be a mom that reflects you to her husband and kids. Thank you for the energy to start my day with you. Amen."

4 comments:

  1. Great way to get started. I love those days when God nudges you like that. When the kids were little, early seemed like the only time of the day that I could find times like this. I'm anxious to hear about your group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually involved with a group of moms from MOPS during the day in my home every other Monday which was asked of me. Plus, Jaren and I are doing one just the two of us every other week. This one with Mark is in my home, but it's really Rod's thing. I'm hoping God can use it to change me where I don't always feel the need to take charge/criticize. I'm there to assist him but it really will be lead by him (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I can take some inspiration from you and make getting up to do my daily devotional time a goal of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that I was able to handle what came my way much better today. Relying on God rather than myself is a much better way to go. Question is...will I remember this tomorrow when I'm exhausted?

    ReplyDelete