Monday, February 16, 2009

Not Enough and More than Enough

I put up all these posts about verses that God's brought to my attention that relate to my addiction to food. From my blog, it sounds as though I'm really getting the hang of implementing some life change. If only it were so.

This weekend was absolutely insane! Honestly, last week as a whole was quite hectic. I thought I had it fairly together until Jaycie came down with a cold. I did not allow any time for illness in our house. Thankfully, it was really just a runny nose. I simply exposed everyone else to all of her germs. We just kept plugging along with our busy schedule.

Amongst this busy schedule was a lot of food... not enough sleep... many temptations for the sweet tooth... and very little time to breathe. Needless to say, all of this left me back in my old ways (maybe not old, probably more like not as frequent).

Here's the thing. Life change requires time and energy. It requires some planning and a lot of focus. This weekend was lacking on time, energy, planning and focus. I ate and ate and ate some more.

My scale shot up to an ugly number that at Christmas time kept me continuing on my eating frenzy. This morning I decided to take some steps so that didn't happen again. I sent the Fannie May Pixies I bought for Rod with him to work. I explained that I have an addiction and if they remain in this house while he is at work, there will simply be no more left when he returns.

He had presented me with some Take Five miniature candy bars on Valentine's Day. Thankfully, he only gave me three. The rest of the bag are hidden somewhere where he will gradually ration to me over time. (I can taste them just thinking about them...)

The house is a mess and I have a long way to go before I catch up with life. Still, I knew it was of the utmost importance that I stop and take some time to refocus, refuel and revamp. I now feel like I'm back on track with a plan, some energy, time and focus.

I'm learning every day and although this past weekend did not mirror anything I've been attempting to convey, I have a new beginning. I'm accepting the grace and moving forward again.

Thank you, God, for a fresh start every morning!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing the way food can seem to overtake your life? I battle with my weight and food as well. I feel that I'm a pretty strong person yet I cannot believe I allow food to "control" me. I have been attending Weight Watchers for a few months now yet I still have not figured out how to master my relationship with food. I need to learn to eat to live instead of live to eat. Good luck with the battle...I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tristi, hectic times and sick kids have kept me away from the computer for a while. I checked back to see how things were going and here you are blogging about what could mirror my life. I find some comfort in knowing that I am not the only one who faces these challenges every day. Never give up, start each day as a new beginning. Most importantly forgive yourself for whatever may have happened the day before. If you dwell on yesterday it makes it harder to control today. Thank you for your blog! It helps motivate me. I truly appreciate you sharing all your thoughts with us.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. Kim, you are so right about fresh starts. Without them, I'd have given up long ago. Kristyn, celebrate the small things. I've been doing Weight Watchers since 2003 and these are still my struggles. I know I will always struggle with them but each battle I win makes me feel a little more victorious! By the way, did you know Vanessa is moving right by a Lou Malnati's?! Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanessa just e-mailed me the other day and told me about her having a Lou's by her! I'm so jealous. The only time I get Lou's is when we visit there (which is like once a year) or if we have it Fed Ex'd to us. I really miss that pizza.

    ReplyDelete