Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sluggish Cravings and Diligent Desires

"The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied." - Proverbs 13:4


I have so many days where I feel sluggish. Maybe it's because I have three kids. Truly, I believe that much of this is connected to what I eat.

And the cravings. Oh, the cravings. So often, what I crave is not what I am truly looking for. I just keep eating and eating thinking I'm craving something and yet I'm never satisfied.

This verse reminds me that when I'm reaching for food out of boredom, I must stop and change direction. I need to be diligent and get something accomplished instead. Much of the time I am eating for some emotional need, out of boredom, when I really just need to sleep or because I've formed a bad habit.

I'm attempting to ask myself why I am reaching for food and then finding something more productive to do with my time. It's much more satisfying!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have started doing this! I too am struggling with this issue. I have many excuse that I can make up myself. I even went to the doctor this past week in "hopes" that they would find something wrong with me, i.e. thyroid or diabetes. I figured if something was wrong with me then I would get my butt motivated. Well after all my blood test, they found out that I am fine. How frustrating was that?! I am coming to the realization that I need to thank God for that fact and that nothing is going to be an overnight fix. So now I need to make up my mind that I am going to do this for me and my health. I do love reading your post and I am hoping they somehow strike a cord with me! Sorry for the novel :)

    Amy S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, sister. It's a continual battle for me. I hope these verses help you as well. Thanks for sharing with me! :)

    ReplyDelete