Thursday, April 2, 2009

Comfort in an idol?

I'm doing a study right now with a friend entitled The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace. Let me just say God has A LOT of changing to do in me! The last couple of chapters have really impacted me.

"Each of us is worshipping something or someone within our heart every waking moment of each day," the books states. "Who or what you worship is 'what's on your mind', 'what you long for -- wish for", 'what is really important to you', and 'what you have your heart set on'." Very sadly, this is food for me. I think about food all the time. And I don't mean just the obvious "what should we eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner" thoughts. I'm talking about the fact that when I have something sweet in the house it calls my name all day long until I succomb to it. Or when I don't know what to do next, I stand in front of the pantry or the open refrigerator looking for something tasty. My body doesn't even know how to register "full" most of the time for goodness sakes!

Another thing the author states in her book is that "If you do not repent and turn to God for a refuge (comfort and relief on His terms), you will be forced to seek relief, comfort, and escape somewhere else." She adds that these could be things like "sleep, television, reading, food, clinging to people for comfort, shopping sprees, exercise, hobbies, being busy at church or volunteer activities" to name a few... and I'll add facebook. I realize I run to many things for comfort outside of God Himself. In particular, I turn to food in a very unhealthy way. This is something that requires change in my life.

Martha Peace continues to say that "the God of the Bible wants the undivided worship and devotion of your heart. He wants your thoughts, motives, and choices to be focused on glorifying Him. He should be your greatest longing and desire and refuge. Your thoughts, motives, and choices should be set on glorifying Him, not on your idolatrous heart's desire." Taking this to heart and applying it to my life could seriously make some changes in my relationship with food!

After the girls are in bed and I feel the stress in my body to the point that I can't relax, my first thought is always "What is in the pantry or fridge?" Instead, I should pull out my journal and pray or the Bible or another book to turn my thoughts to God.

Without quoting the entire chapter, I was also impressed by the following: "What you have your heart set on will make all the difference in the world in your fulfillment and your joy. Ask God to give you new heart's desires. Then proceed to seek after God with the same passion and energy that you are currently expending on idolatrous desires," and she quotes 1 John 2:15-17.

I don't expect changes overnight. I've created terrible habits for myself and I must replace them with new ones. The biggest is that when I feel a need for comfort, I should talk to God rather than turn to food. It's not going to be easy but I'm grateful for this new revelation for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment