Thursday, April 16, 2009

Finding rest in the stillness

I've been trying to elminiate hurry from my life lately. It is not an easy accomplishment. I think this world is wired to be in a hurry and naturally, I've followed suit. The difficult thing for me is I don't want to feel left out. When friends are getting together, I want to be a part of it. If someone asks me if I'm free to hang out, my first impulse is to agree. I reason that I cannot impact the lives of others if I'm never involved in their lives. God, however, has been showing me that I cannot impact lives without time to simply "be still".

It is so easy to get wrapped up in the daily grind. There is so much to do. My mind spins. Everyone needs something. I have to be completely intentional if I am going to find time to "be still". And yet, it is so vital to my very being.

A huge part of why I lack self-control is for this very reason. I am a firm believer that self-control is an oxymoron. In and of myself, I cannot exercise control. The only way I can show self-control is when I am obedient to God and allow His Holy Spirit to control my actions. (Could that possibly be why it is listed as one of the fruits of the Spirit?) On the days where I cannot rummage up enough food to satisfy my desires or fly off the handle at the smallest thing, I know I am in desperate need of God. I must find time to be still.

I'm learning that I cannot possibly hear His voice if I don't take time to listen. I'm learning that in order to listen, I cannot constantly have noise. The television blaring. The radio playing. The kids yelling. My own voice speaking. My thoughts whirling. I must spend time reading His Word. I must talk to Him and then spend time in quiet.

Last week I actually had a day where the little girls took a nap at the same time while my oldest was at school. My inital response was to grab a snack, flip the boob toob on and lay down on the couch. Having just had conversation with a friend the day prior about this very subject, however, I stopped myself. I felt physically exhausted, so I did plop myself on the couch. However, I listened to the quiet and thanked God for it. Then I closed my eyes and talked to my Creator. I was rested when them time came to answer the calling of "Mommy" again.

Finding rest in the stillness... I could use some more of it.

"Be still and know that I am God." ~ Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

  1. Good job Tristi! We could ll learn something from being still for a while.

    ReplyDelete