Friday, May 29, 2009

A good cry

Last Friday, Nikelle had early dismissal from school. As I wanted a break and the little ones were napping, I had her choose a movie to watch. She chose The Wizard of Oz.

When the movie was over she came over to me looking quite sad. When I asked what was wrong, her voice got shaky as she replied, "I just didn't want her to have to say goodbye to her friends". At this, I couldn't help but smile. I've had my share of movies where I've been in tears but The Wizard of Oz is not on that list. "You've got a good heart," I encouraged her as I tried to hide my smile as I hugged her. "And a great imagination" she felt the need to add.

She was sobbing in my arms. It was nice having my almost 7-year-old climb up into my lap for a good cuddle. At the same time, I really didn't think The Wizard of Oz warranted this type of emotion. As I attempted to explain to her how the whole "Oz" experience was part of Dorothy's dream, she continued to cry. "Nikelle, are you sure you're not sad about something else? Are you thinking about Grandpa and Papa or something?"

"No," she responded. "I just wanted to stop this action of crying."

I just hugged her a little while longer as I smiled. It's a memory I'd like to treasure forever. Still so innocent and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment