Sunday, May 17, 2009

Happy Birthday, Sabrina Nicole!

In a world where we all get to decide what's right for ourselves, teenagers with character are hard to come by these days. That's one reason why I'm grateful for my niece, Sabrina. She is a teenager who strives to follow God in all she does.

Becoming an aunt at 14-years-old, I didn't realize the importance of embracing the moments with my niece. Now I've blinked and have come to the conclusion that the time I have left with her is precious. I better be cherishing every moment I have with her. She turns 17 today, her golden birthday. Soon enough, she'll be starting her adult life and squeezing time with us in where she can.

Sabrina is a natural-born leader. She is more than comfortable being in the limelight and we've known this about her since she was a little kid. At birthday parties, we would all be commanded to sit down and watch as she performed different songs for us. Seeing the joy she had in bossing us around and no other little ones to give our attention to, we all willingly obliged. Looking back, she really should have turned out to be a selfish kid. And yet she seems to be exactly the opposite. Sabrina is always thinking of others.

Sabrina is friends with everyone and yet the popular crowd seems to embrace her as well. Never "too good" to hang out with her Aunt or other family members, we even have the privilege of being Facebook "friends".

And she never finds herself "too old" to hang out with all her younger cousins either. Just this past week, Sabrina joined her little cousins for a craft night. With all the crazy busyness of her life, it spoke volumes to me about the kind of person Sabrina is. When I informed her that Nikelle was having quite a few friends at her craft night and I felt bad that she would be taking time off of work to join us, she replied. "My cousins are only little once. I'll NEVER regret spending time with them."

These days, we tend to miss out on a lot of Sabrina due to her busy schedule of school, work, soccer and friends. At the same time, I love that she still wants her family to share her birthday with her.

What I love about Sabrina is that she uses her outgoing leadership qualities to serve our God. My niece is not afraid to stand up for what she believes God wants her to. I remember a story when she was younger where she witnessed a woman shoplifting in a superstore. She was adamant that the store needed to be informed because this was clearly wrong. Although the store did nothing about it, she stood up for what was right and I'm certain it has helped shape her for today.

There is a more recent story I recall from the ice cream shop where she works. She was working the drive-thru when a man was mistreating a woman in the car with him. Sabrina sold the ice cream to the man and then informed him that "no woman should be talked to that way". (Bold, I know!) She closed the drive-thru window and walked away. The man waited for her to come back (I'm certain to share a few choice words) and when she didn't, he threw his ice cream at the window and sped off. (Yes, we've discussed the dangers in this with her now.)

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." ~ 1 Timothy 4:12

A lover of people who stands bold for our God. That defines our Sabrina. And I believe she lives this verse. Sabrina Nicole leaves no reason for anyone to look down on her. She strives to set an example for others as she lives her life for our God!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome Aunt! I would love for someone to have all these good things to say about me. Happy Birthday to Sabrina! She really is a special young lady :)

    ReplyDelete