Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Agreement in Truth

"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." - Acts 17:11

If the Bereans are commended in the Bible for examining the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true, shouldn't we be doing the same? Are we simply accepting what is taught because someone is a pastor, evangelist or missionary? Am I simply believing what is said because it comes from someone older or more educated? Am I in agreement based off my memory or my mom? Oftentimes, I think we accept what others say because it sounds good or because we want to believe it. We want to be in agreement with each other. We don't want waves in our relationships. That is all fine and good if what we believe is in agreement with the Bible. We have to be reading God's Word enough to know if we can accept what we hear. It is essential that we compare everything to the Bible. The Bible is absolute truth. Whether others like it or not. Whether it causes waves or not. The Bible is God's Word and therefore, the ultimate authority.

I remember a moment in high school where I continually quoted something someone had told me. It was either my camp counselor or a friend's parent who asked me to show them what I was quoting in the Bible. They did this because it wasn't in there! That lesson was valuable to me. Combining that with this verse, there has been a lasting impression.

We need to be examining the Scriptures daily to see if what is being fed into our ears is truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment