Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Actions speak louder than words

Relationships and all that they offer have made a huge impact on who I am today. I am one who thrives on relationships. I want nothing more than to spend time with friends. I am constantly checking my e-mail. I rarely resist the urge to answer a phone call. Facebook is one of my many addictions.

Facebook allows me to reconnect with many of these past relationships from so many different seasons of my life. These connections leave me in a whirlwind of thoughts. Thoughts about chapters of my life I thought I had closed. Moments I thought I had put behind me. Relationships I had worked so hard to come to accept had just grown apart. I enjoy catching up. Seeing where people are in life today is something that intrigues me. And yet Facebook takes me out of the comfort zone I had created. I want to believe myself when I say I've put the past behind me. But have I? Really?

These reconnections have given me a lot to think about. Conversations have occurred that have left me examining my life. Do I simply talk the talk? Being brought up in a home where I was taught how to pray, read and memorize the Bible and brought to church every week, it's easy for me to say the right thing. Right v. wrong is pretty clear in my mind. Still, I'm left wondering... do I walk the walk?

#1 - LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH. When I love someone, I want to spend as much time with them as I possibly can. I want to know them and I want them to know me. I think about them day in and day out. I want them involved in every aspect of my life. I want them to know my family and my friends. I want to be able to tell them all the little details of my life and feel somewhat empty until I do. So am I really loving God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength if my day does not include Him? If I am not inviting Him to share life with me?

#2 - LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. Do I put others needs on the list anywhere near where I place my own? Can I look away when someone in my life is hurting? Can I make excuses for being too busy when people around me are in need of help? Am I able to be consumed with myself when the Bible clearly tells me that a Christ-follower will live as Jesus did?

These are the two greatest commandments and the rest of the law is summed up in them. If I am loving God and loving others, I am living as Jesus did. And yet, am I? Am I doing this? Truly loving God and loving others?

People around me are making me aware of how much lip service I give for a life I don't live. [sigh] I believe what I'm saying. I don't think of myself as a hypocrite. And yet, I don't make God my priority. I can go through most days without taking the time to talk to or listen to the Lord my God. How can I then say that I love Him?

I just excuse it away with being too busy. And as for loving others? I too easily write off not helping them to a life that is just too full.

Actions speak louder than words. Actions speak louder than words.

"We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." - 1 John 2:3-6

4 comments:

  1. Your post just expressed everything that I have been thinking about myself! With facebook, when someone from high school requests to be my friend, sometimes it brings back all the mean things they did to me in high school, and makes me wonder why they want to be my friend now. I always thought I had put that past behind me and moved on, and then something like that happens and it takes me back. I also wonder if I'm loving God and others like I should be.

    It's like you posted every thought that has been going on in my head for months, only I haven't been able to put them into words, so thanks for doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's encouraging. Glad to hear I'm not alone. As far as me putting it into words, it probably helps in a huge way that I'm getting a little more sleep than you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Tristi. It's amazing how when people reenter my life all I can think about is my past with them, not what could lie in the future. And then I am forced to be thankful that God doesn't think of my past with him everytime he thinks of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thought, Tessa. A good reminder, for sure!

    ReplyDelete