Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hot topics and Love

Stay-at-home or go to work? Bottlefeed or breasfeed? Cry it out or console? To spank or not to spank? These are the questions.

I have friends that are stay-at-home moms. I also have friends who make a living outside of the home. Some of my friends visit with a bottle in hand while others don't need to worry about that item in their diaper bag. Some run to console. Some let their kids cry it out. And to be totally honest, spanking is rarely a topic of conversation although it can still be a hot topic.

As I gave some unsolicited parenting advice on my friend's facebook page, I thought about how dedicated we can become to a "cause" that is really nothing more than a matter of personal choice. I read others' comments and thought about my own. Seriously, why do we feel the need to choose sides? Why can't we just accept the fact that people parent differently? It doesn't make one mom neglectful because they choose to allow their baby to "cry it out" any more than another mom is lazy because they choose to stay-at-home full time.

There are some issues we may disagree on. Can we agree on this, however? People are more important. Good relationships take work, tough conversations and a lot of grace. Let's be willing to disagree with love. It's so easy to get caught up in a "cause".

I'm hopeful that I will remember to be intentional in valuing the relationship more than the topic as I encounter the inevitable differences in opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Good reminder Tristi. I too, can get caught up in whatever an "issue" may be, & miss opportunities to demonstrate Christ.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete