Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thankful for my parents 11-4-09


The girls are asking me how many more days until Christmas. More than ever, I just want them to enjoy today. If we jump to Christmas we miss so much. Thanksgiving is overlooked. And yet, that honestly isn’t even my biggest problem with the question they raise.

I was dreading the start of November this year. I suppose it is partly because I am not allowed the distraction of a newborn this year. This year, the holidays are just creating heartache within me. The holidays make me think of my dad. I miss him terribly. His absence is always evident in my life. Starting with the harvest, however, there has just been a blaring reminder that he is gone.

So, what do I do with this gloomy cloud that hangs over my head? Can I just pretend everything is hunky dory? Can I choose to just ignore them? I’d probably just crawl back into bed and stay there if I didn‘t have three little girls relying on me. Rather than allow depression to take over my life, I have to find things to be thankful for. Gratitude can carry my heart a long way.

I am so blessed to have been given parents who raised me to know God at an early age. My parents gave me many childhood memories that I am able to cherish and recall with fondness. Family was a priority to my parents. And I can point out many scenarios which remind me that my parents not only loved God, they loved one another. I am grateful that I was raised with protection and innocence. I was taught a strong work ethic. I was taught that this world is not all there is. I am able to look much further than the here and now. At the same time, I was taught to enjoy the day we are given. My parents taught me so much. Most of all, how very much God loves me, how very much I was (am) loved and how important it is to love in return.

Thank you, Mom, for raising me to love God. Thank you, God, for a mom and dad who I can give thanks for. And Lord, let my dad know I’m thankful for him, too. I miss him, in particular, this time of year.


2 comments:

  1. That was a very sweet post. It makes me feel the ache along with you for the loss of your dad.

    ReplyDelete