Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thanks for smiles

Everyone has days where they just simply don't feel like smiling. Bad things happen in this life and it can be hard to find a reason to smile. I remember a few times when I was younger, someone would tell me to smile or to "turn that frown upside down". Like life would all of a sudden be better simply because I smile. Sometimes life downright hurts and smiling is not natural.

Today I was remembering my dad and caught up in the emotion of it. I went to get Andelise out of her bed and she greeted me with a big smile. As I was smiling back at her, I thought about the power of a simple smile. It may not solve all of life's problems but it can certainly take my mind off of myself and move me out of my pity party if just simply for the moment.

Thank you, Lord, for the power of a simple smile. Thank you that my joy is not based on my circumstances. And thank you for the smiles given to me by others.

The joy of the Lord is my strength. - Nehemiah 8:10

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song. - Psalm 28:7

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty cool. I haven't been smiling at all today- it's one of those days. Then, one of my students said, "I smile all the time, because it helps me stay in a good mood." So, now I'm trying to smile to get me through the rest of the day :-)

    ReplyDelete