Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Triggered

I am very aware today that putting my kids to bed (either for naptime or bedtime) is a trigger for me to eat. It was my assumption all morning that I would have to shovel the driveway during their naps but when I looked out the window I noticed that God took care of that for me with the wonderful sunshine melting it away. That left me with a decision as to what I would do during the kids' naps.

I could get on the treadmill. My mind made enough excuses to eliminate that possibility quickly. What if Jaycie coughs so bad she throws up again? My foot and leg really hurt. It would require quite a bit of stretching prior to running. If I need to stretch, I need to clean up toys in the basement so that I can do it comfortably... I'll pass.

I could lay down and take a nap. I can't lay down upstairs because I hear every noise the kids make (and boy is that baby a chatter box). Laying down on the sofa is a trigger to eat. Better not do that.

I remember that laundry is in the washer and dryer. Step one: Take care of that. While doing the laundry I notice the potty chairs I brought in from the garage. Step two: Bleach those so I can have them out for Andelise. (My mom decided to let Andelise use the potty chair while she had the kids overnight the other weekend and now the girls are pestering me to get her potty trained. I certainly do not have plans of making it a priority but if the girls want to take Ande into the bathroom with them when they go and give her the opportunity to use the potty chair... more power to them.) Bleaching the potty chairs reminded me that we have friends coming over tonight. Step three: Bleach the bathroom. Now I'm faced with putting the laundry away... but I want a break.

Why is it that every time I get a moment to myself, I want to eat? Food and relaxation must go hand in hand in my brain. In order to break a bad habit, I need to replace it with something else. That's why I'm blogging right now. Hopefully, if I put my mind into something else, I can change the path I'm taking.

I'm feeling much better about this choice. Maybe I'll remember the way I feel about my choice right now when I'm faced with the moment again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment