Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Morning by Morning

Yesterday I took my baby to get her 18-month pictures taken. She surprised me with the way she cooperated and as I look at her pictures, I'm struck with the thought that I no longer have a little baby anymore. She then proceeded later in the day to take off all of her clothes and use the potty chair. The fact that my littlest one is growing up, in and of itself, does not sadden my heart. How quickly time flies, however, does tug at my soul. We have these kids to shape for such a short period of time.

I was praying the other day and asking God to cover our mistakes. I know we will screw our kids up. It's inevitable. We're human and most children want to change something from their own upbringing. That's when it struck me (again) that it all starts right here with me. Yes, I will screw up. I will make mistakes. What will matter to my kids is how I handle those moments. Do I claim to be perfect? Do I think I'm doing everything right? Do I truly believe I have all the answers? Or can I humbly apologize when I wrong my children? Can I admit that I am a flawed sinner who needs forgiveness? Can I honestly inform my children that I don't have all the answers but I know who does and I trust in Him?

I posted on Facebook this Monday that I was thankful for a fresh start. That's one thing I embrace about Mondays. What I need to remember, however, is that each and every day brings with it a fresh start. The song lyrics, "Morning by morning new mercies I see. All I have needed Thy hand hath provided. Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me," runs through my mind. I'm thankful that each moment I have the opportunity to start with a clean slate. All because Christ cleaned me from the inside out when He took my sin upon the cross. All because I'm covered with grace.

Today is Wednesday. I'm thankful for Wednesdays. It means I have a fresh start, a new beginning, a day to implement some change.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." - Ephesians 2:8-10

"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.' The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD." - Lamentations 3:21-26

No comments:

Post a Comment