Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mealtime prayers

I’ve never really been great at implementing mealtime prayers. I’ve asked friends for their ideas on praying at the dinner table, but after utilizing their suggestions for a couple of days, I find myself simply longing for a moment of peace I know will come once food is set before my whining children. When my husband is home and we sit down as a family for dinner, he often prays (as my dad did when I was growing up). Every now and then, my husband will ask our children if they want to pray.

One day, our 4-year-old said she wanted to pray and quoted a Bible verse she had learned. “Give thanks to the Lord… who made the great lights… sun… moon and stars...” (Psalm 136:3, 7-9) “Evening, morning, and noon I cry out…” (Psalm 55:17) is another verse my preschooler prays from her heart to God before we eat. This expression of gratitude to God fills my heart as the prayers fill our home.

It can be a lot of fun to recall Bible verses on thanksgiving to offer God at the table. Although we do not use this routine continually, I am grateful my children can recall verses they have hid in their hearts when we do. Today my daughter recalled another Bible verse about the wise men. “When they saw star, they were overjoyed!” (Matthew 2:10) It may not be a prayer of thanksgiving but I believe these moments given the expression God is looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, doesn't it make you feel good when your kids remember things like that?

    ReplyDelete