Thursday, July 22, 2010

Prone to worry

My daughter's temperature read somewhere around 102* the beginning of last week. Immediately my mind fast forwarded to all we had planned for the week and how those plans would be altered as I was certain whatever was going on with my baby would pass through all my children and possibly even to my husband and myself. I was irritated and sad that my oldest daughter's day camp experience might be altered or that my first 5K run with a friend in years would be missed. Not to mention the camping trip we had planned for the weekend.

As quickly as I found myself discouraged with the future, I remembered Matthew 6:34"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I honestly had no choice but to obey this verse. Without it, my attitude was going to stink and my relationships would suffer for it. Every time a worry would come to my mind, I recited this verse in my mind and pushed the thoughts of tomorrow away, focusing instead on the moment at hand.

I picked up the phone and called my girlfriend to cancel our plans for the next day. I contacted my cousin and canceled our plans for the evening and went back into mothering mode. With each day that brought a fever, I had to cancel play dates and get togethers. Tuesday morning (being the third day with a fever), I contacted the Pediatrician's office for an appointment. Almost immediately, the baby began to perk up and become herself. Her fever went away and I canceled the appointment wondering all the while if I was making the right choice.

By Wednesday, her fever had been gone for about 24 hours and I took the girls to my sister-in-law's to swim. All that ever came of the illness was that fever. No other problems (other than crabbiness galore) accompanied whatever was going on inside my daughter. It was a relief to finally be able to expect some sleep at night. And no one else came down with anything.

On Thursday, everyone was healthy and my oldest was to go to our local water park with her day camp. The sky was overcast and rain was forecasted for the day. I was disappointed for her. This should have been the highlight of the week for her and her cousin. I was also discouraged because my 5K was that evening and a storm would not make for ideal conditions.

The day ended up beautiful. My daughter enjoyed her time in the water and I finished my 5K in a time I was content with. It was a good day overall. Now we were headed into the weekend with 90's in the forecast for our camping trip. It's no wonder where my thoughts went next.

Why is it so easy to go into the worry mode? Every day brings with it worries and I naturally fast forward to worry about days that have yet to be. I learned something this past week about worry: It is highly overrated. "I just worry about you." is a phrase that people think is kind and thoughtful. Yet God tells us not to. Easy as that. Don't do it. Focus on the moment. Seize the day. Carpe Diem. This is your time. Read it again: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Our camping trip was wonderful! The first night, I actually worried that I didn't dress the girls warm enough during the night because it cooled off so much. There was a nice breeze during the day to accompany the heat. We spent a lot of time swimming in the pond and enjoyed our time together as a family.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Wise words. Wise words.

No comments:

Post a Comment