Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mom Connection Thursday, September 2nd

My daughter takes a lot of time to warm up to people. She plays the shy game and has a difficult time with trust. This is why I pay the money for her to have teenage life-guards from the local high school come to my brother’s pool and give her a half hour of one-on-one swimming lessons.

On this particular day, the lessons got pushed back from their originally scheduled time. Jaycie needed to be one of the first kids taking lessons so that I could get home in time for an appointment I had previously scheduled.

One of the usual lifeguards had a substitute. Upon seeing this, Jaycie immediately did a great job of “using her words” to inform me that she wanted to go with the lifeguard she was familiar with. When that lifeguard informed her that she should be going with the sub, Jaycie’s response should not have been a surprise to me.

I was stressed out that things were not playing out as I had expected they would. We needed to get Jaycie in the pool for her lessons right away or I would be late for my appointment. In an attempt to get her to quit yelling and cooperate, I used words that I wish I could take back.

It dawned on me a few words too late that I had the option to just go home. It was silly to pay money and force her to do lessons (which I really couldn’t do anyway), when the situation was not at all her fault.

Jaycie did end up taking lessons with the instructor she desired. My sister-in-law asked my niece to wait to have her lessons with the coveted lifeguard until after we left. Everything went smoothly from that point on.

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be able to speak words without regretting them. I wish I could constantly use words that build up instead of tear down. That is why I am very excited to hear about The Power of a Positive Mom in our Mom's group this year.

Mom Connection is welcoming moms of every age! Women expecting their first child all the way through women who proudly claim the title of “grandma” will benefit from this year’s topics (encouragement, prayer, gratitude, relationships, examples, moral standards, love and forgiveness). We are excited to see new relationships form, mentoring relationships established and friendships expanded upon. Most importantly, we are excited to see how each of us will personally grow in our individual relationships with God. We will be meeting at Channahon Junior High School on the first Thursday of every month from 6:45-8:45 pm. A meeting for those who want to go deeper will be at Tristi Carlson’s on the third Thursday of every month.

If you are a mom in the area looking to connect, come out and join us. Contact me with any questions.

"A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands."
— Proverbs 14:1

No comments:

Post a Comment