Thursday, September 9, 2010

Help!

My 2-year-old does a great job of asking for help. While playing with a baby doll, rather than screaming in frustration, she walks over to me and asks, “Help Please Hat?” While I put the hat on her baby doll, I commended her on what a great job she does using her words to ask for help.

A friend of mine sent out an e-mail recently asking for help. Helping her two little boys welcome a new baby sister and brother (twins) into the family has left her feeling a little out of her comfort zone. It is commendable that she was willing to reach out and ask for help from her friends. I, for one, am grateful that she let me know how I could help specifically. Without her request, I probably would not make the time in my schedule to just stop by and know exactly what I could do to help. I’d almost feel as though I were intruding.

This morning I was finding myself irritated as both little girls wanted to help make breakfast. I could feel the tension rising in my body and knew I was about to respond in a not-so-positive fashion. I prayed a prayer asking God to help me keep some perspective.

Sometimes we need to ask for help because we simply don’t know what else to do. While we ask for help, it allows us to grow in our relationships. We are able to interact, give and take, and bond in ways we haven’t before.

I wonder what it would do for my relationship with God if I would simply stop to ask for help a little more often. In those moments where I feel overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin, how would I benefit if I turned to God for some assistance? What give and take would I experience that would help me to grow closer in this relationship?

“Is anyone crying for help? GOD is listening, ready to rescue you. If your heart is broken, you'll find GOD right there; if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath.” – Psalm 34:17-18 (The Message)

1 comment:

  1. I have to learn to ask for help too. It's hard to do, isn't it? To me it's like admitting I can't do everything, which is hard for me to do.

    ReplyDelete